Monday, January 14, 2008

i flew into space

this night i drove through thick fog, passing slow-moving cars on my right. the highway ahead of me was empty, and the road sloped upwards as if cars were meant to launch from the peak, right into space. i could see maybe ten feet of road ahead of me, and the rest was white fog. so i drove up and up and up with no idea how high i was. at some point i must have been midair, whisked up by viscous fog and no gravity, flying over the fecundity of grass fields and walnut groves and strawberries, all the way to my house where my mom and dad were waiting for me.

normally when i drive through fog at night, i scare myself into thinking some zombie boy is standing just ahead in the middle of the street. i play through the situation several times, and usually conclude that the best thing to do is to just keep driving, to pile through anyone standing there and not look back. but sometimes i think that i should stop and get out, that my life is not worth saving at the risk of not saving someone else's, and that the worst thing that could happen is a quick trip to heaven for me. this alternate mindset comes from my cousin, who was so brave walking around at night. i asked him if he got scared, and he said he wasn't afraid because of God. i was ten at the time. he has a four year old now.

2 comments:

ck said...

what is it with you and zombies? (i'm referring to your weird fantasies and "28 days later.") i think you need to get over the whole zombie thing. "normal" life is bad enough.. now you gotta throw in zombies and make everything even more ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

dude if you hit a zombie boy, it's ok just keep going. he's BEEN dead!

and if the 4 year old asks you about walking/driving around at night.. please dont mention ur thoughts on zombies. when i was around that age, someone told me something about werewolves and the thought of werewolves was so terrifying, i stayed up thinking about that at night. =(